FARM THE BEST & CREP THE REST
Minnesota CREP Option for Landowners
Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP)
WHAT IS CREP?
- CREP is a voluntary conservation program that combines federal and state programs across prioritized portions of Minnesota.
- CREP combines the popular Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) with a perpetual Reinvest in MN (RIM) easement. Successful landowners who enroll would receive an annual payment from CRP for 14-15 years along with an upfront payment from the RIM program.
- Land enrolled in CREP is permanently restored and enhanced for conservation benefits and the land remains in private ownership.
WHAT IS ELIGIBLE?
- Land must be owned for at least one year before the date of application.
- Land needs a cropping history to be eligible.
- Existing CRP acres in the last year of contract are eligible depending on practice type.
- Minimum size of 8 acres (some exceptions apply, contact the SWCD)
The priorities for CREP are to restore wetland areas (non-floodplain and floodplain), protect wellhead areas, and add buffers to our lakes, rivers, streams, or ditches.
Contact the Brown SWCD office at 507-794-2553 to learn more!